- Duration: 5 days / 4 nights.
- Return Point: Cusco
- Group Size: Max. 10, Avg. 6
- Travel Style: Hiking, Trekking, Archaeological and Cultural trek.
- Trek Rating: The Salkantay trek is rated as one of the 25 best treks in the World.
- Difficult Level: Moderate to Challenging.
- Altitude: 3,000 masl to 4,600 masl or feet (Highest point).
- Walking distance: 75 km. / 46 miles.
- Departure Dates: Daily departures (according to availability).
- The Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu is the second most popular hike in the region just after the Inca Trail.
- The route is considering by National Geographic Adventure Magazine as one of the 25 best Treks in the World.
- Explore the Andean life along the trail and learn about the mysteries of the ancient Inca Culture and visit the archaeological site of Machu Picchu
- Hiking alongside to beautiful landscapes and see natural bridges, Andean valleys, snowcapped mountains such as the Salkantay Mountain, cascades and cloud forest.
- Ideal for couples, group of friends, nature lovers, and for all the family.
- Informative Trip led by a friendly and expert local guide.
- All entrance tickets and permits are includes.
- All necessary equipment included.
- Complimentary pickup and drop off from all Cusco hotels
- Complimentary luggage storage while hiking.
- Once in a Lifetime Experience.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT:
The Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu is rated by the National Geographic as one of the top 25 best treks in the World, and is the best alternative option to get to Machu Picchu. This trek is designed for active people of all ages who want to have great moments in full contact with the nature and want to learn about the local people and the Inca civilization. In this trek You’ll reach the Salkantay Pass located at 4650 male/ feet, which is the highest point where you feel new sensations in the Peruvian Andes.
This great trek starts from Cusco – Peru, and the hikers will enjoy along 46 miles (75 km.) this trek combines outstanding views of the snow-capped mountains, unbelievable Andean landscapes, lush cloud-forest, a subtropical jungle of splendid natural surroundings, with the magnificently work of the Inca masons who built amazing buildings, agriculture terraces, temples, water fountains and others.
Really it’s a unique experience, sharing unforgettable moments in full contact with nature, and finally reaching to the famous Inca City of Machu Picchu, where you will admire its magic and charm, and we will observed its large old buildings wrapped of a great history, which actually make it recognized as a New World Wonder.
The Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu is one of those things that nobody should lose the opportunity to do it. Everyone should do once in lifetime; be you women or man, young or old, have good or bad physical condition… The Salkantay Trek is simply for everyone…Welcome!
SALKANTAY TREK TO MACHU PICCHU – ITINERARY
- DAY 1: Cusco – Mollepata – Challacancha – Soraypampa (Humantay Lake).
- DAY 2: Soraypampa – Paso Salkantay – Huayracmachay – Chaullay.
- DAY 3: Chaullay – La Playa Sahuayaco – Santa Teresa (Thermal baths).
- DAY 4: Santa Teresa – Hydroelectric Station – Pueblo de Aguas Calientes.
- DAY 5: Aguas Calientes Town – Machu Picchu – Ollantaytambo – Cusco.
DAY 1: Cusco – Mollepata – Challacancha – Soraypampa (Laguna Humantay).
Highlights of the day: Walk from Challacancha to the base camp of Soraypampa … In the afternoon visit the beautiful Humantay Lagoon and enjoy spectacular views of the Salkantay Mountain … and if there is a favorable climate at night take the opportunity to appreciate the constellations in the clear sky …
We will pick you up from your hotel at 6:00 am. to start the trip, it will be picked up by your guide and cook, then in transport around 2 hours in our private van, during the trip we can see the spectacular snow-capped peaks and valleys with colorful landscapes until our first stop in the village of Mollepata, where We will have our first breakfast. After breakfast we board our transport to continue the trip for about 30 minutes to Challacancha located at 3500 m.s.n.m. -start of our walk-. In Challacancha we will meet our muleteer who is waiting with the horses and mules, then we will prepare and pack all the equipment on the horses for our trip. Around 9:30 in the morning we will begin the walk towards Soraypampa. We are going to cross this section of the route on stone ballast, besides the path runs clean and cold water in an old water channel that supplies water to the inhabitants of the area. This first morning we will walk around 10 km. for about 3 hours to Soraypampa (3900 m.), where we will have our first lunch and place of our base camp for the day. At this point we will have enough time to enjoy and take pictures of the breathtaking views of the canyon that extends into the area. In the afternoon, after a well-deserved rest we will leave the camp for a short hike up to see the beautiful Humantay Lagoon that is located at 4200 masl, the walk is about 1 hour and 20 minutes, where you will enjoy the beauty and charm of the place and the best opportunity to take fantastic photos. After all this we will walk back to Soraypampa base camp, to see a beautiful sunset in the middle of the glaciers, then we will taste our delicious dinner. Here there is the possibility of taking advantage of the clear night to appreciate the constellations in the sky.
Hiking time: about 4 hours.
Walking distance: 14 Km. / 8,69 miles.
Weather: Cool, windy
Altitude: from 3500 m.a.s.l. up to 3900 m. (By Bus).
Day 2: SORAYPAMPA – PASO SALKANTAY – HUAYRACMACHAY – CHAULLAY.
Highlights of the day: Conquer the pass of Salkantay located at 4630 m.s.n.m. (the highest point of the walk) … Enjoy magnificent views of the Salkantay mountain (6271 m.), the Umantay Mountain (5400 m.) and other beautiful snowy peaks.
This day our cook will wake us up with a coca tea at 05:30 am., And after our delicious breakfast, we will start our walk in order to reach the highest point of the route that is 7 km away. We will do this in approximately 3 hours of walking. This second day will be the most arduous day of the entire walk. We start our trek uphill with a gradual slope for 1 hour along the Salkantay Valley until we reach the area known as Pampa Salkantay located at 4200 meters where we will take a short break accompanied by beautiful views. After this rest we will continue for 2 more hours of ascent by the rocky valley until the highest point of the route denominated the Salkantay Pass located on the 4,630 m -. 15,190 feet. From here we can appreciate spectacular views of the mountains and imposing snow peaks such as the magnificent Salkantay Mountain (6,271 m.s. – 20,574 ft.). and Humantay Mountain (5,400 m.s. – 17,716 feet) and other snow-capped peaks. The Salkantay mountain is the second highest mountain in the Cusco region. From the Salkantay pass, you will enjoy the back of the mountain, which always has snow on its summit and a cloud forest at the bottom of the valley. Let’s hope the weather allows you to see the sunset over this magical place and have the opportunity to see condors flying over the peaks. From the heights we will continue with our excursion about 9 Km. Downhill along a rocky path of zigzag gravel until we reach Huayracmachay where we will have lunch. In the afternoon, continuing with the descent, you will reach the High Forest, also called the Cloud Forest where you can see some native plants, the weather conditions of this area during the year is warm and temperate, reaching the town of Chaullay (2900 masl – 9,514 feet) around 5:30 pm. Where will our camp be? The campsite is located at the foot of the Salkantay mountain, here the company staff will be waiting for you and they will have everything ready for you as their tents armed with their respective sleeping bags. Then we will have our tea time where we will enjoy hot chocolate, coffee, cookies and pop corn, and finally our chef will serve an incredible dinner.
Hiking time: about 7 hours.
Walking distance: 20 km. / 12,42 miles.
Weather: Cool, windy
Altitude: from 3900 m. up to 4630 m. and from 4630 down to 2900 m.a.s.l.
Día 3: CHAULLAY – PLAYA SAHUAYACU – SANTA TERESA (BAÑOS TERMALES DE COCALMAYO).
Highlights of the day: Enjoy the incredible Cloud Forest or High Jungle … Find a variety of local crops (coffee, tea, bananas, avocado, passion fruit, papayas and others) … Enjoy the Thermal Springs of Cocalmayo in Santa Teresa..
This day around 6:00 am. we will wake up with a coca tea; and after our breakfast, we will start our hike through the High Forest and after a few minutes walk from breakfast, you will notice that the climate changes becoming warmer with a lush green jungle with beautiful waterfalls, rivers, and with a interesting flora and fauna. If you like orchids, here are many different species to see, there are also amazing ferns and begonia flowers; as well as hummingbirds flying over the flowers, in the lower part of the valleys it is clearly to see the cedar tree very useful in the economic activity of the local population, it is also very common to see the local people in the agricultural crops of coffee , passion fruit, papayas, oranges and avocados. After 5 hours of walking down, we will stop at the place known as Sahuayacu or La Playa (2250 masl or 7381 feet) for our delicious lunch. This place is a small town with basic services (hygienic services, electricity, and you can do some souvenir shopping), later following with our plan we will take a small bus that will take us for 1 hour to arrive early at the Town of Santa Teresa ( 1900 masl or 6233 feet) where we will have our Base Camp. In the afternoon, after a break we have the option of traveling in a small bus about 15 minutes to the Thermal Baths, which is really recommended after this hard journey in the mountains, your body will appreciate it. At night we will return to our camp for tea time and a delicious dinner.
Hiking time: 5 hours
Walking distance: 16 km.
Altitude: 2,900 m. going down to 1900 m.
DAY 4: SANTA TERESA – ESTACIÓN HIDROELÉCTRICA – PUEBLO DE AGUAS CALIENTES.
Highlights of the day: Enjoy the incredible Peruvian Andes …, Arrive walking to Aguas Calientes along an easy day enjoying beautiful and enchanting landscapes …
This day we will have breakfast at 8 am. and after leaving our camp in Santa Teresa, we will cross a bridge and then we will walk along the shore of the Vilcanota River or Sacred River, going through a variety of crops such as coca, coffee, tea, banana, avocado, papaya, etc. , for 2 hours until reaching some beautiful waterfalls, these waterfalls are about twelve meters high and are fed by the crystalline waters of the sacred Yanantin Mountain. After some photos of the waterfalls we will continue our walk for approximately 1 hour until we reach the Hydroelectric Power Plant (1900 m.s.), where we will rest and have lunch. After our lunch continuing with the route we will walk about two and a half hours following the train track, near the bank of the Urubamba River, from there we can appreciate the Sacred Mountains such as Huayna Picchu and Machu Picchu. The walk continues and passes through the old coffee plantation of Mandorpampa in the cloud forest, this area is covered with bromeliads and many varieties of orchids, some of which have recently been identified by biologists. Finally around 4:30 p.m. we will arrive at the town known as Aguas Calientes (2000 m.s.), where we will spend the night in a comfortable hotel, the dinner will be in a tourist restaurant that is included. During the dinner our guide will provide you with very important information about the next day, so you will be fully prepared for your visit to Machu Picchu. Afterwards, it is advisable to go to sleep at a reasonable hour in order to leave early in the morning to arrive early and visit Machu Picchu.
Hiking time: 6 hours.
Walking distance: 18 Km.
Altitude: from 1900 m. up to 2000 m.
DAY 5: PUEBLO DE AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU – OLLANTAYTAMBO – CUSCO.
Highlights of the day: Arrive early to Machu Picchu – even before hikers of the Inca Trail and those who travel by train … Enjoy a magnificent Sunrise on a clear morning at Machu Picchu … Optional with a pre-booked ticket You can climb the Huayna Picchu Mountain or the Machu Picchu Mountain …
This is the most important day of your excursion. We will start our last and surprising day very early in order to get to Machu Picchu, before the people who are doing the Inca Trail and even before the hikers who travel on the tourist trains, arriving to have the possibility of enjoying the Departure of the Sun in Machu Picchu. After breakfast we will leave our hotel at 5:30 am. and we will walk to the bus station (2000 m.n.m.), from here we will ascend by tourist bus for 30 minutes on a zigzag way to reach the Inca Sanctuary of Machu Picchu (2400 m.s.). So we will see this amazing place and we will start with our guided tour that will last approximately 2 hours with our Professional Guide, where we will explain about the history, visiting magical and interesting places that have made Machu Picchu one of the Wonders of the World. After the tour you have enough free time to take photos, walk or explore the site by themselves and there is the possibility of climbing the Huayna Picchu Mountain according to availability. In the afternoon, after enjoying Machu Picchu, we will take the tourist bus down for about 25 minutes to Aguas Calientes, here you will have time to have lunch in one of the good restaurants. Around 6:00 p.m. We will board the return train that will take us to the town of Ollantaytambo arriving at 7:50 p.m., here our staff will be waiting for you, who will take you on a Tourist Bus back to Cusco City arriving at 9:30 p.m. approximately, and finally we will leave you at your hotel.
Hiking time: 2 hours with the group visiting Machupicchu + 4 hours exploring by yourself.
Walking distance: It depends on the area you want to explore in Machu Picchu.
Altitude: From 2000 m. going up to 2400 m. (By bus).
- The Present Itinerary is referential since the Camp sites are subject to changes according to availability, so the itinerary could have modifications.
- The arrival time to the City of Cusco may vary according to the availability and schedules of the return trains.
- The Machu Picchu Mountain can be climbed instead of the Huayna Picchu mountain for USD $ 15 per person. This walk lasts about 3 hours round trip. (Book it, when you book your trip).
- You have the opportunity to go up to the Puerta del Sol for free and this is a much easier walk takes 1 hour and a half round trip, or if you want to have a much easier and shorter walk, you can walk on your own to the Inca Bridge for 1 hour round trip.
INCLUDED IN YOUR TOUR:
- Pre meeting and briefing of preparation with your tour guide 1 or 2 days before the trek at our Cusco Office.
- Safe storage for your belongings at our office in Cusco while you are hiking.
- Pick up from your Cusco hotel.
- Transport from Cusco until Challacancha (trailhead) in private car.
- Professional English speaking Tour Guide.
- A second Tour Guide (for groups of 11 or more trekkers).
- Cook and cook assistant to prepare all feeding.
- Entrance fees to Machu Picchu Inca Site and the campsite fees.
- 2 hours guided tour in Machu Picchu Inca site.
- All meals during the trek(04 breakfasts, 04 lunches, 03 tea times, 03 dinners). There is the possibility of preparing vegetarian or special diets according to your requirement.
- Boiled water to refill your water bottle and hot water for washing purposes.
- Horsemen and horses to carry all camping equipment, personal items, food, sleeping tents and kitchen equipment.
- We carry until 8 kg. / 17 lb. of your load, so you’ll only walk with your daypack with water (For this load, we will provide duffel bags at your briefing for your personal items).
- The best camping equipment to enjoy a good night’s sleep:
- Dormitory Tent (High Quality Mountain Tents for 4 people, it will be used only for 2 people for your better comfort) and enough space storage for your backpacks.
- Inflatable Mattress Thermarest.
- Dining Tent + camp tables + chairs + gas lamp for the evenings.
- Kitchen Tent and full cooking gear for preparing all meals.
- First Aid Kit and emergency Oxygen balloon.
- Transportation from La Playa to Hydroelectric Power Station for the 3rd day.
- Train ticket from the Hydroelectric Power Station to Aguas Calientes Town for the 3rd day.
- Bus ticket up and down from Aguas Calientes Town to Machu Picchu Inca site.
- Return Train ticket on Day 4, from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo.
- Transport from Ollantaytambo train station until your hotel at Cusco.
- 01 night accommodation in Aguas Calientes Town. *
* This will be in a basic hotel, in accommodations single, double, triple rooms according to your requirements and availability. All hotels booked by us are clean and safe with breakfast included, private bathrooms with hot showers, Wi-Fi and storage for free to leave your luggage while you are visiting Machu Picchu.
Until the last day before your trek, at our Cusco Travel Office situated in the downtown, If you want, you have the option to add to your reserved trek, for an additional payment, the following things:
- Sleeping bag (you can rent it from our Travel Office + $ 5.oo USD per day).
- A pair of trekking poles (you can rent it from our Travel Office + $ 5.oo USD per day).
- Entrance ticket to Huayna Picchu Mountain (In this case, please require it when you book your trek because is subject to availability, just 400 spaces a day + USD $. 15.oo ).
- Entrance ticket to Machu Picchu Mountain (In this case, please require it when you book your trek because is subject to availability, just 400 spaces a day + USD $. 10.oo ).
- Personal Trekking gear (please, check the SALKANTAY TREK – What to take list).
- Travel Insurance.
- Optional Tips for the travel team (feel free to tip, only if you want, at the end of the trail you can give some tips for the tour guide, cook and horseman).
What to take
WHAT TO TAKE TO SALKANTAY TREK
Many people assume that the weather is hot in South America, but in the zone of the higher altitude of the Andes, the temperature can feel quite cold, especially at night. So we provide you the full list to organize your backpack from now, if you don’t have one of them, so you can buy it with some time in advance but if you cannot do it, don’t worry there are many camping stores in Cusco City where you can hire or buy what you need.
Please, check this SALKANTAY TREK Packing List and remember that everything is very important for the success of your trek.
- Original Passport
- ISIC Student Card, if you are student
- Travel Insurance (some copies)
- A printed voucher issued for us.
- Day pack.
- Sleeping bag.
- Water bottle.
- Purifying tablets or filter
- Some snacks such as cookies, candies, chocolates, energy bars.
- Money belt and some cash, if you want to buy some souvenirs of your visit
- Hiking Shoes and Sandals.
- Warm clothes: especially for the night as thermal jacket, glove, scarf, wool socks, wool hat for cold nights.
- Waterproof clothing (rain jacket and poncho)
- Synthetic or cotton clothing (hiking pants, socks, trousers, short pants, 4 t-shirts)
- Sun Hat
- Personal medical kit with bandages and anti-inflammatory tablets
- Insect repellent.
- Sun block
- Small towel.
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Soap / body wash
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Hairbrush /comb
- Deodorant / body spray
- Toilet paper
- Flashlight (head lamp recommended)
- Photo Camera with extra memory cards and batteries.
- Walking poles with rubber-tipped (Optional).
- Pocket knife
- Some plastic bags.
- A sense of humor.
- We recommend a previous acclimatization in Cuzco City, for at least 2 days and general good health.
Availability & Prices
AVAILABILITY OF THE SALKANTAY TREK 4 days- 2018
You are advised to book this tour at least 1 month before because in this way we can organize your trip coordinately and in the best way possible.
January: We do not have availability for rainy season.
February: We do not have availability for rainy season.
March: We do not have availability for rainy season.
April: 6, 9, 11, 20, 23, 30.
May: 4, 6, 8, 9, 11, 13, 16, 19, 21, 23, 26.
June: 2, 7, 9, 12, 16, 20, 26, 27, 30.
July: 3, 8, 11, 15, 19, 23, 28, 31.
August: 5, 7, 10, 13, 17, 22, 26, 27, 30.
September: 2, 8, 13, 20, 26, 30
October: 6, 12, 17, 22, 27, 31.
November: 2, 7, 13, 19, 28, 30.
December: We do not have availability for rainy season.
* Our company unlike other companies do not offer this excursion during the rainy season – months of December, January, February and March – because the route has the most quantity of rains of the year, so in order to offer a good service and ensure its success, we only offer this hike in the dry months because we do not want to run any risk, because for us, your safety and health is first. Unfortunately other companies for business theme offer this hike all the year risking the safety of their workers and hikers.
* If you do not find availability for the date in the months we offer, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating the date of your trip, so we can organize your trip on your required date and also to offer our promotions.
PRICES – 2018
The prices of the excursion to Salkantay to Machu Picchu for 5 days / 4 nights are expressed in US dollars and for each excursionist. These prices are calculated based on the type of Return Train and handled in Group Service. In order to meet all your needs, you have the option to choose between two different types of trains – choose the one that best suits your needs:
1.-TREN EXPEDITION.- This option is created for adventurous passengers who seek comfort and safety without extra services. The Train departs from Aguas Calientes Station, The seats have been upholstered with indigenous fabrics, giving them a touch of local flavor and color. Snacks and drinks are available for an additional fee, and storage space is free for backpacks.
- ADULT: USD $ 490.00 (Age 18 to over).
- STUDENT: USD $ 470.00 (For this price, you must send by email a copy of your original student card issued by the university up to 25 years).
- CHILD: USD $ 460.00 (Age 3-8. For this price, you must send us a copy of your passport by e-mail).
- INFANT: USD $ 0.00 (Age 0-2.Free of charge, traveling with your parents).
2.- TREN VISTADOME.- This option is a convenient way to travel leaving the Aguas Calientes Train Station. This service has panoramic windows and gives you the possibility to enjoy beautiful and spectacular landscapes allowing the fantastic opportunity to take photos. Delicious sandwiches, as well as cold and hot refreshments are served on the trip.
- ADULT: USD $ 550.00 (Age 18 to over).
- ESTUDIANTE: USD $ 530,00 (For this price, you must send by email a copy of your original student card issued by the university up to 25 years).
- CHILD: USD $ 520.00 (Age 3-8. For this price, you must send us a copy of your passport by e-mail).
- INFANT: USD $ 0.00 (Age 0-2.Free of charge, traveling with your parents).
- Please note that a minimum of 2 people is required to book this hike.
- If you are thinking of traveling alone, please contact us to offer you a date in an already organized group..
- Our passion is family travel, so if you travel with children please contact us to offer our promotions.
- Incredible Peru Tours – IPT for your greater tranquility has no hidden charge or expense.
- The Salkantay Trek to Machu Pichu is our passion and customer satisfaction is our success!
- Make your trip an unforgettable experience with us!
You can Book very easily and Pay safely using PayPal:
Booking one or several of our excursions with us will be really easy and practical, and you will have the great option to pay for your excursions in 2 parts. The first part from the comfort of your home or office paying with any Credit or Debit Card using PayPal a very safe and reliable money transfer system. The second part will be paid upon arrival in Cusco, personally in our office located in the Historic Center of the City.
To book one of our hikes and / or excursions, you must perform these 3 simple steps:
1. FILL OUT THE RESERVATION FORM:
Completely fill out the Reservation Form and make sure the information and the start date of your trip is correct. Do not forget to tell us the name of the tour you want to make, the number of travelers, questions about the tour and / or some preferences!
2. PERFORM A PRE-PAYMENT:
Click on our button Pay Now!… Then you must make a pre-payment for the tour. This Pre-Pago will be made through a deposit of USD $ 200 per person. This amount must be sent using your PayPal account. You can also use your Credit or Debit Card issued by any bank in the World, adding the 5% corresponding to the money transfer, so the amount sent will be USD $ 210 per person. If you wish to pay for a group of people the amount of USD $ 210 will be multiplied by the total number of travelers. The remaining balance will be paid at our office located in the City of Cusco until 1 day before the start date of the tour. This remaining amount can be paid in cash and without surcharge, or if you wish to pay with a Credit or Debit Card – VISA with an 8% surcharge for transaction taxes. Once the pre-payment has been made, contact us.. Call us or send us an email to: email@example.com indicating the date and amount of the deposit.
* If you wish to pre-pay by bank deposit, bank transfer, Western Union or any other means of payment, let us know so we can send you the necessary information.
3. PRINT YOUR TRAVEL COUPON:
Once you have verified the deposit, our Customer Service Office will send you an email with the Subject: Confirmation of your Reservation, attaching a TRAVEL COUPON. This is your ticket and proof of your reservation. We always send this confirmation email, so if you do not receive this message, check your spam and / or immediately contact our office to send you confirmation again.
… At the end of step 3, your tour will already be Reserved and Confirmed, so we recommend you prepare for your trip! … Thank you very much for your time and interest in traveling with us and from now on … Welcome!