Salkantay to Macchu Picchu – 4 Days / 3 Nights
The Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu is the second most popular trekking route in the region, only after the Inca Trail. The route is considered by the Adventure Magazine of National Geographic as one of the 25 best walks in the world.
- Duration: 4 days / 3 nights.
- Starting point: Cusco
- Ending point: Cusco
- Group Size: Max. 10, Avg. 6
- Travel Style: Hiking, Trekking, Archaeological and Cultural trek.
- Trek Rating: The Salkantay trek is rated as one of the 25 best treks in the World.
- Difficult Level: Moderate to Challenging.
- Altitude: 3,000 masl to 4,600 masl or feet (Highest point).
- Walking distance: 75 km. / 46 miles.
- Departure Dates: Daily departures (Excluding December, January, February and March for rainy season).
- The Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu is the second most popular hike in the region just after the Inca Trail.
- The route is considering by National Geographic Adventure Magazine as one of the 25 best Treks in the World.
- Explore the Andean life along the trail and learn about the mysteries of the ancient Inca Culture and visit the archaeological site of Machu Picchu
- Hiking alongside to beautiful landscapes and see natural bridges, Andean valleys, snowcapped mountains such as the Salkantay Mountain, cascades and cloud forest.
- Ideal for couples, group of friends, nature lovers, and for all the family.
- Informative Trip led by a friendly and expert local guide.
- All entrance tickets and permits are includes.
- All necessary equipment included.
- Complimentary pickup and drop off from all Cusco hotels
- Complimentary luggage storage while hiking.
- Once in a Lifetime Experience.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT:
The Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu is rated by the National Geographic as one of the top 25 best treks in the World, and is the best alternative option to get to Machu Picchu. This trek is designed for active people of all ages who want to have great moments in full contact with the nature and want to learn about the local people and the Inca civilization. In this trek You’ll reach the Salkantay Pass located at 4650 male/ feet, which is the highest point where you feel new sensations in the Peruvian Andes.
This great trek starts from Cusco – Peru, and the hikers will enjoy along 46 miles (75 km.) this trek combines outstanding views of the snow-capped mountains, unbelievable Andean landscapes, lush cloud-forest, a subtropical jungle of splendid natural surroundings, with the magnificently work of the Inca masons who built amazing buildings, agriculture terraces, temples, water fountains and others.
Really it’s a unique experience, sharing unforgettable moments in full contact with nature, and finally reaching to the famous Inca City of Machu Picchu, where you will admire its magic and charm, and we will observed its large old buildings wrapped of a great history, which actually make it recognized as a New World Wonder.
The Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu is one of those things that nobody should lose the opportunity to do it. Everyone should do once in lifetime; be you women or man, young or old, have good or bad physical condition… The Salkantay Trek is simply for everyone…Welcome!
- DAY 1: CUSCO – MOLLEPATA – CHALLACANCHA – SORAYPAMPA (HUMANTAY LAGOON).
- DAY 2: SORAYPAMPA – SALKANTAY PASS – WAYRACPUNKU – CHAULLAY.
- Day 3: CHAULLAY – PLAYA SAHUAYACU – HYDROELECTRIC STATION – AGUAS CALIENTES TOWN.
- Day 4: AGUAS CALIENTES TOWN – MACHU PICCHU – OLLANTAYTAMBO – CUSCO.
DAY 1: CUSCO – MOLLEPATA – CHALLACANCHA – SORAYPAMPA (HUMANTAY LAGOON)
Highlights of today: Walk from Challacancha to Soraypampa Base Camp… In the afternoon visit the beautiful Humantay Lagoon and enjoy spectacular views of the Salkantay Mountain, and if we have a favorable weather at night clear we can appreciate the constellations in the sky…
We will pick you up from your hotel at 5.30 am to begin our trip, you will be met you’re your Tour Guide and Cook, then drive around 2 hours in our private van, during the transportation we can see the spectacular snowcapped peaks and valleys with colorful landscape until our the first stop in Mollepata village, where we will have breakfast, here there are toilet facilities and stores. After breakfast we catch our transport for continuing the trip for about 30 minutes to Challacancha the trail head. In Challacancha we will meet our Horseman who is waiting with our horses and mules and then we will start preparing all the equipment for your journey. Around 9:30 am. We will star our hike to Soraypampa. We will walk this section of the path over paved stone trail, besides the trek runs very clean and cold water in an old water channel which provides water to inhabitant of the zone. This first morning we will hike around 9 km for about 3 hours until Soraypampa our first lunch place and where we will have our base camp. At this point we will have enough time to enjoy our luch and we take some pictures of the breathtaking views of the area the canyon stretching down the valley. In the afternoon, afther luch we will have time to take a refreshing break to continue a short hiking up to see the beautiful Humantay Lagoon located at 4200 masl, the hike is approximately 1.20 hours where you will see the beauty and charm of the lagoon’s zone and the best opportunity to take fantastic photos. After all this you will walk down coming back to Soraypampa base camp to see a very nice sunset on the middle of the glaciers valley and enjoy our delicious dinner. Here there is the possibility to appreciate the constellations in the sky at night clear.
Hiking time: about 4 hours.
Walking distance: miles/ 14 Km.
Weather: Cool, windy
Altitude: from 3500 m.a.s.l. up to 3900 m. (By Bus).
DAY 2: SORAYPAMPA – SALKANTAY PASS – WAYRACPUNKU – CHAULLAY
Highlights of today: Conquest the Salkantay Pass over 4630 m.a.s.l. (the highest point)… Enjoy magnificent views of the Peruvian Andes, appreciate the Salkantay Mountain(6275 m.a.s.l.), the Umantay Mountain (5400 m.a.s.l.) and others beautiful snowcapped peaks.
Today we will wake up with a coca tea at 05:30 am., and after our delicious breakfast, we will start our hike in order to get the highest point of the trail located at 7 km. in about 3 hours hiking.This second day is the most ardous day of the whole trail. We will start our hiking with gradual uphill for about 1 hour along the Salkantay Valley until we arrive until the area known as Salkantay Pampa located at 4200 meters where you take a short break with some beautiful views. After this break we continue for another 2 hours on the ascent through the rocky valley to the highest point of the trail called Salkantay Pass located at 4650 masl – 15,255 ft. From here we will appreciate spectacular views of the mountains and the imposing snowy peaks of the magnificent Salkantay Mountain (6200 masl – 20,341 ft). and Umantay Mountain and others snowcapped peaks. The Salkantay Mountain is the second highest mountain in the Cusco region. From the Salkantay pass You will enjoy the back side of the mountain, which always has snow on the roof and the cloud forest at the bottom of the valley. Hopefully the weather will allow you to watch the sunset over the magical location and watch the condors flying above. From the hights point we will hike 9 Km. about 3 hours downhill on the zig zag trail and gravel rocky path to get Huayracmachay where will have lunch, on the afternoon we will entrance to the higth jungle as well called cloud forest where you can aprecied some native plants, mostly of the year weather is warmed and temperate to finally arrived to Chaullay Village (2900 masl – 9,514 ft) the base camp into the jungle. It will be around 5.30 pm when you get to your campsite located at the foot of Salkantay mountain and your trekking staff will have all your tents set up waiting for you with your duffels ready. They will provide warm water to get washed up and changed into something cozy and warm. We will have happy hour with hot chocolate and coffee and then finally your amazing dinner will be served.
Hiking time: about 7 hours.
Walking distance: miles/ 20 Km.
Weather: Cool, windy
Altitude: from 3900 m. up to 4630 m. and from 4630 down to 2900 m.a.s.l.
Day 3: CHAULLAY – PLAYA SAHUAYACU – HYDROELECTRIC STATION – AGUAS CALIENTES TOWN.
Highlights of today: Enjoy the amazing cloud forest or high forest … Find a variety of local crops (coffee, tea, bananas, avocado, passion fruit, papayas and others) … Arrive by train to Aguas Calientes after a easy day enjoying beautiful and enchanting landscapes …
This day around 6:00 am. we will wake up with a coca tea; and after our breakfast, we will begin our hike through the high jungle and after some minutes walking from breakfast, you will notice that the microclimate changes immediately from cold and glacier views to the warmer forest with green lush jungle with beautiful waterfalls, rivers, and again the interesting flora and fauna. If you are a fan of the orchids, there are many different species to see and amazing ferns and begonia flowers as well, and the humming birds will be flying above. Into the down valleys is clearly to see the cedar tree very useful for the local people in the economic, and is very common to see the local people farming some cultivations of coffee, passion fruit, papayas, oranges and avocados. After 5 hours hiking down, we will stop at the place known as SAHUAYACU or LA PLAYA (2250 masl. or 7381 feet) for lunch; this place is an small Town with the basic facilities (toilets, electricity, shoppings and souvenirs). Later, following with our plan we will take a little bus that will bring us for around 2 hours till the Hydroelectric Power Station ( 1900 m.a.s.l.), where we have a break and then we will board the train which leaves from the station. The train trip takes 1 hour, the railroad goes besides of the Urubamba River, during the route the Sacred Mountains as the Huayna Picchu and Machu Picchu can be seen. Finally around 5:00 pm. we will arrive to the village known as AGUAS CALIENTES TOWN (2000 m.a.s.l.). Here we will get off and we will walk till our confortable hotel where we spend the night. Our dinner will be at the tourist restaurant which is included. During dinner our tour guide will provide you very important information about your next day, so you’ll be fully prepared for your visit to Machu Picchu on the last day. After, it is advisable to go to sleep at a reasonable time in order to wake up in the early hours of the morning to get early to Machu Picchu.
Hiking time: 5 hours
Walking distance: 16 km. walking + 18 Km. by bus and train.
Altitude: 2,900 m. going down to 1900 m.
Day 4: AGUAS CALIENTES TOWN – MACHU PICCHU – OLLANTAYTAMBO – CUSCO
Highlights of today: Arrive morning early to Machu Picchu – before even The Inca Trail trekkers and the travellers by trains… Enjoy the sunrise at morning clear in Machu Picchu… Optional with pre-booked ticket for climbing to Huayna Picchu Mountain or Machu Picchu Mountain…
Today is the most important day in your hike. We will start our last and amazing day very early in order to get Machu Picchu before even the Inca Trail Trekkers and tourist trains arrive and to have the opportunity to enjoy the sunrise at Machu Picchu. After breakfast we will leave from our hotel at 5:30 am. and we will walk towards Bus Station (2000 m.), from here we ascend in tourist bus for 30 minutes by a zig zag way to Inca Sanctuary of MACHU PICCHU (2400 m.). We will see this amazing place and starting our guiding visit, which will be last approximately 2 hours with our professional Tour Guide, where he will explain about the history, visiting magical and interesting places that have made Machu Picchu one of the Wonders of the World. After the tour you will have enough free time to take photos, walk or explore the site by yourselves and there is the possibility to climbing up to Huayna Picchu Mountain according availability. Then in the afternoon, after enjoying Machu Picchu, we will catch the tourist bus, going down for about 25 minutes to Aguas Calientes Town, here you will have time to have lunch in one of the good restaurants. At 6:00 pm. We will board the return train to take us to Ollantaytambo Town arriving at 7:50 pm, here our transfer will be waiting for you, who will bring you in tourist bus back to Cusco arriving at 9:30 pm. approximately, and finally we will leave you at your Cusco hotel.
Hiking time: 2 hours with the group visiting Machu Picchu + 4 hours exploring by yourself.
Walking distance: It depend the area you want to explore at Machu Picchu.
Altitude: from 2000 m. up to 2400 m. (By Bus).
- The times described in this itinerary are referentials. The exact time depends on the type of train chosen, and according to the availability and train schedules.
- The accommodation service will be providing in the Hotel Killa Inn (www.grupokillamachupicchu.com/360/killa.html), or some other similar, in single, double or triple, according to your requirement. All hotels reserved for us are clean and safe with breakfast included, private bathroom with hot water, Wi-Fi, cable TV and free storage to leave your bags while you are visiting the Machu Picchu.
- If you want to book a hotel yourself, or if you already have a hotel booked, let us know so we make the corresponding discount.
- After you make the reservation and payment of this tour, we will send you a confirmation e-mail attaching a travel voucher stating the hotel name in Aguas Calientes Town, and the exact time of your trip by train.
- The time to visit Machu Picchu really depends on the physical condition of each person,… feel free and walk at your own pace!
- The 4th day, after your visit of Machu Picchu, there is the possibility to climb the Huayna Picchu Mountain + USD $. 15.oo per person. This small original Inca Trail hike lasts about 2 hours round trip. (Book it, when you reserve this tour because it is subject to availability, only 400 spaces per day).
- You can also climb to the top of the Mountain Machu Picchu, instead of the Huayna Picchu Mountain + USD $ 10.oo per person. This hike is longer and lasts about 3 hours round trip. (Book it, when you reserve this tour because it is subject to availability, only 400 spaces per day).
- You always have the opportunity to climb to the Sun Gate for free and this is a much easier hike for about one and half hour round trip, or if you want to have a very short and easy hike you can walk by your self to Inca bridge during 1 hour round trip.
INCLUDED IN YOUR TOUR:
- Pre meeting and briefing of preparation with your tour guide 1 or 2 days before the trek at our Cusco Office.
- Safe storage for your belongings at our office in Cusco while you are hiking.
- Pick up from your Cusco hotel.
- Transport from Cusco until Challacancha (trailhead) in private car.
- Professional English speaking Tour Guide.
- A second Tour Guide (for groups of 11 or more trekkers).
- Cook and cook assistant to prepare all feeding.
- Entrance fees to Machu Picchu Inca Site and the campsite fees.
- 2 hours guided tour in Machu Picchu Inca site.
- All meals during the trek(04 breakfasts, 04 lunches, 03 tea times, 03 dinners). There is the possibility of preparing vegetarian or special diets according to your requirement.
- Boiled water to refill your water bottle and hot water for washing purposes.
- Horsemen and horses to carry all camping equipment, personal items, food, sleeping tents and kitchen equipment.
- We carry until 8 kg. / 17 lb. of your load, so you’ll only walk with your daypack with water (For this load, we will provide duffel bags at your briefing for your personal items).
- The best camping equipment to enjoy a good night’s sleep:
- Dormitory Tent (High Quality Mountain Tents for 4 people, it will be used only for 2 people for your better comfort) and enough space storage for your backpacks.
- Inflatable Mattress Thermarest.
- Dining Tent + camp tables + chairs + gas lamp for the evenings.
- Kitchen Tent and full cooking gear for preparing all meals.
- First Aid Kit and emergency Oxygen balloon.
- Transportation from La Playa to Hydroelectric Power Station for the 3rd day.
- Train ticket from the Hydroelectric Power Station to Aguas Calientes Town for the 3rd day.
- Bus ticket up and down from Aguas Calientes Town to Machu Picchu Inca site.
- Return Train ticket on Day 4, from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo.
- Transport from Ollantaytambo train station until your hotel at Cusco.
- 01 night accommodation in Aguas Calientes Town. *
* This will be in a basic hotel, in accommodations single, double, triple rooms according to your requirements and availability. All hotels booked by us are clean and safe with breakfast included, private bathrooms with hot showers, Wi-Fi and storage for free to leave your luggage while you are visiting Machu Picchu.
Until the last day before your trek, at our Cusco Travel Office situated in the downtown, If you want, you have the option to add to your reserved trek, for an additional payment, the following things:
- Sleeping bag (you can rent it from our Travel Office + $ 5.oo USD per day).
- A pair of trekking poles (you can rent it from our Travel Office + $ 5.oo USD per day).
- Entrance ticket to Huayna Picchu Mountain (In this case, please require it when you book your trek because is subject to availability, just 400 spaces a day + USD $. 15.oo ).
- Entrance ticket to Machu Picchu Mountain (In this case, please require it when you book your trek because is subject to availability, just 400 spaces a day + USD $. 10.oo ).
- Personal Trekking gear (please, check the SALKANTAY TREK – What to take list).
- Travel Insurance.
- Optional Tips for the travel team (feel free to tip, only if you want, at the end of the trail you can give some tips for the tour guide, cook and horseman).
WHAT TO TAKE
WHAT TO TAKE TO SALKANTAY TREK:
Many people assume that the weather is hot in South America, but in the zone of the higher altitude of the Andes, the temperature can feel quite cold, especially at night. So we provide you the full list to organize your backpack from now, if you don’t have one of them, so you can buy it with some time in advance but if you cannot do it, don’t worry there are many camping stores in Cusco City where you can hire or buy what you need.
Please, check this SALKANTAY TREK Packing List and remember that everything is very important for the success of your trek.
- Original Passport
- Student Card, if you are student
- Travel Insurance (some copies)
- A printed voucher issued for us.
- Day pack.
- Sleeping bag.
- Water bottle.
- Purifying tablets or filter
- Some snacks such as cookies, candies, chocolates, energy bars.
- Money belt and some cash, if you want to buy some souvenirs of your visit
- Hiking Shoes and Sandals.
- Warm clothes: especially for the night as thermal jacket, glove, scarf, wool socks, wool hat for cold nights.
- Waterproof clothing (rain jacket and poncho)
- Synthetic or cotton clothing (hiking pants, socks, trousers, short pants, 4 t-shirts)
- Sun Hat
- Personal medical kit with bandages and anti-inflammatory tablets
- Insect repellent.
- Sun block
- Small towel.
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Soap / body wash
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Hairbrush /comb
- Deodorant / body spray
- Toilet paper
- Flashlight (head lamp recommended)
- Photo Camera with extra memory cards and batteries.
- Walking poles with rubber-tipped (Optional).
- Pocket knife
- Some plastic bags.
- A sense of humor.
- We recommend a previous acclimatization in Cuzco City, for at least 2 days and general good health.
AVAILABILITY AND PRICES
AVAILABILITY OF THE SALKANTAY TREK 4 Days- 2018
You are advised to book this tour at least 1 month before because in this way we can organize your trip coordinately and in the best way possible.
January: We do not have availability for rainy season.
February: We do not have availability for rainy season.
March: We do not have availability for rainy season.
April: 6, 9, 11, 20, 23, 30.
May: 4, 6, 8, 9, 11, 13, 16, 19, 21, 23, 26.
June: 2, 7, 9, 12, 16, 20, 26, 27, 30.
July: 3, 8, 11, 15, 19, 23, 28, 31.
August: 5, 7, 10, 13, 17, 22, 26, 27, 30.
September: 2, 8, 13, 20, 26, 30
October: 6, 12, 17, 22, 27, 31.
November: 2, 7, 13, 19, 28, 30.
December: We do not have availability for rainy season.
* Our company unlike other companies do not offer this excursion during the rainy season – months of December, January, February and March – because the route has the most quantity of rains of the year, so in order to offer a good service and ensure its success, we only offer this hike in the dry months because we do not want to run any risk, because for us, your safety and health is first. Unfortunately other companies for business theme offer this hike all the year risking the safety of their workers and hikers.
* If you do not find availability for the date in the months we offer, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating the date of your trip, so we can organize your trip on your required date and also to offer our promotions.
PRICES – 2018
The price for the Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu – 4 days / 3 nights is calculated according of type the train back chosen and shareable in group service. In order to meet various customer needs, you can choose from two different types of trains – choose the one that best suits your needs:
1. The Expedition Train:
This option was created for adventurous passengers seeking comfort and security without the extra frills. Departing from Ollantaytambo train station, located approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes outside of Cusco, your journey to Machu Picchu begins! The seats have been reupholstered with indigenous fabrics, giving them a touch of local flavor. Snacks are available for purchase, as well as additional storage space for backpacks.
- ADULT: USD $ 550.00 (Age 18 +).
- STUDENT: USD $ 520.00 (For this price, you must email us a copy of your original student card issued by the university for up to 25 years).
- CHILD: USD $ 490.00 (Age 3-8).
- INFANT: USD $ 0.00 (Age 0-2) – For free, travelling with your parents.
2. The Vistadome Train:
This option is a comfortable way to journey to Machu Picchu. Departing from Poroy train station, located approximately 25 minutes outside of Cusco, you’ll enjoy beautiful panoramic windows to make the most of the spectacular scenery and allow for fantastic photo opportunities. Delicious snacks as well as hot and cold refreshments are served on the way (own expense).
- ADULT: USD $ 610.00 (Age 18 +)
- STUDENT: USD $ 580.00 (For this price, you must email us a copy of your original student card issued by the university for up to 25 years).
- CHILD: USD $ 550.00 (Age 3-8).
- INFANT: USD $ 0.00 (Age 0-2) – For free, travelling with your parents.
- To book this hike, note that a minimum 2 people is required.
- If you’re planning to travel alone, please contact us to provide you a departure date in an already organized group.
- Our passion are the family trips, so if you traveling with children, please contact us to offer our promotions for families.
- Incredible Peru Tours – IPT, for your best stay has no charges or any hidden costs.
- The Salkantay Trek to Machu Pichu is our passion and customer satisfaction is our success!
- Make your trip an unforgettable experience with us!
YOU CAN BOOK VERY EASILY AND PAY USING PAYPAL SAFELY:
Book one or more of your tours with us, will be really easy and practical, also have the great option of paying your excursions into 2 parts. The first part from the comfort of your home or office paying with any credit or debit card using PayPal transfer system very safe and reliable money. The second part of the pay will be in Cusco City, directly at our office located in the Historic Center of the City.
TO BOOK ONE OF OUR HIKES AND / OR ANY SIGHTSEEING TOUR, YOU MUST PERFORM THESE 3 SIMPLE STEPS:
1. FILL THE BOOKING FORM:
Complete the Booking Form and make sure the information and the date of your trip is correct. Don´t forget to indicate us the name of the tour you like, the number of travelers, questions about the tour and / or some preferences!
2. MAKE A PRE-PAYMENT WITH PAYPAL:
Click on our Pay Now button! … Then you must make a pre-payment for the tour. This pre-payment will be made through a deposit of USD $ 200 per person. The amount must be sent through your PayPal account, adding 5% corresponding to transfer money, so the amount sent will be USD $ 210 per person. If you want to pay for a group of people the amount of USD $ 210 will be multiplied by the total number of travelers. The remaining balance will be paid at our office located in the city of Cusco until 1 day before the date of the tour. The remaining amount can be paid in cash and without charge, or if you want to pay by credit or debit card – VISA with a surcharge of 8% for transaction tax. Once the pre-payment is made, please contact us. Call us or send us an e-mail to: email@example.com indicating the date and amount of the deposit.
* If you want to make the pre-pay by bank deposit, bank transfer, Western Union or some other means of payment, let us know to send you the necessary information.
3. PRINT YOUR TRAVEL VOUCHER:
Once verified the pre-pay deposit, our Customer Service Office will send an email with the Subject: Confirmation of your booking, attaching a travel voucher. This is your ticket and proof of your reservation. We always send this mail Booking Confirmation, so if you do not receive this message, check your Spam and / or immediately contact our office to send back confirmation.
… Completed step 3, your tour will already be booked and confirmed, so we recommend you prepare for your trip! … Thank you for your time and interest for traveling with us and from now… Welcome!