- Duration: 4 days / 3 nights.
- Starting point: Cusco
- Ending point: Cusco
- Group Size: Small Group Max 8, Avg. 4
- Travel Style: Hiking, Trekking, Archaeological and Cultural trek.
- Trek Rating: The Trek to CACHICATA QUARRIES is a beautiful route but still little known.
- Difficult Level: Easy to Moderate.
- Altitude: 3,200 m. to 4,440 m.(highest point), and down to 2700 m.
- Travel distance: 115 km. / 71 miles.
- Departure Dates: Daily departures
- Discover little known interesting Inca places and Machu Picchu in one trip.
- Explore the ruins and learn about the mysteries of the ancient Inca Culture visiting these incredible archaeological sites.
- Hiking alongside to beautiful landscapes and see natural bridges, Andean valleys, lagoons, rivers and cascades.
- Ideal for couples, group of friends, nature lovers, and for all the family.
- Informative Trip led by a friendly and expert local guide
- All entrance tickets and permits are includes
- All necessary equipment included
- Complimentary pickup and drop off from all Cusco hotels
- Complimentary luggage storage while hiking.
- Once-in-a-Lifetime Experience
What you can expect
The Trek to Cachicata Quarries is one of the newest trekking routes on offer in the Cusco region. The Cachicata trek takes you past high waterfalls, Inca ruins and beautiful scenery. The Cachicata trek is relatively easy compared to some of the others so it is a great option for less experienced trekkers. Another great thing about the trek is that hardly anyone does it so if you’re looking to get away from the crowds then this is the trek for you!!!. The Cachicata Quarries is located in the area around Ollantaytambo, and from here we caught a train to continue our trip to reach Machu Picchu where you will have enough time exploring this mysterious Inca place admiring its magic and charm, so you will see their large old buildings wrapped of a great history that have made Machu Picchu one of the Wonders of the World.
This trek combines beautiful mountain scenery and unbelievable panoramic views, high mountains of splendid natural surroundings, with these amazing Archaeological Sites, which have magnificent work of the Inca masons such as an outstanding mix of Inca paving stones placed over trails, temples, Inca houses, agriculture terraces, warehouses, water channels, fountains and much more, whole this can be visited currently.
Finally, before you discover this fabulous trek by yourself, we invite you to join us on a virtual tour over Peruvian Andes, on one of the most beautiful treks… Now, take a breath, imagine and dream, you are almost in CACHICATA QUARRIES and MACHU PICCHU…Welcome!
Day 1: CUSCO – SOCMA – RAYAN
We start out with an easy first day. Leaving from Cusco early we drive to the Sacred Valley heading for the village of Socma which is a short distance from Ollantaytambo. Just before we arrive to Socma we’ll have a stop to take photos of some stone-age petroglyphs. Today’s trek takes us up the valley behind Socma as we make our way to a small Inca site and beautiful waterfall that lie at the top of the valley. Walking past fields cultivated with potatoes, corn and quinua we will have the opportunity to see a variety of birds and native plants and to learn about the customs of the Andean people. Your guide will teach you a little Qhechua (the language of the Incas) so that you can communicate with the people you meet on the trek. After a relaxing morning’s walk we’ll finally arrive to our destination, the Inca site of Perolniyoc. After a guided tour of the site we’ll carry on a short distance to our campsite at Rayan (3650m / 11975 ft.) where we’ll stop for the day. In the afternoon we will visit one of the local families and you can practice the Quechua you learn in the morning (much to everyone’s amusement).
Hiking time: 5 hours
Walking distance: 12 km.
Altitude: From 3200 m. to 3650 m.
Day 2: RAYAN – CACHICATA QUARRIES
Today is the longest day of the trek. Setting out from our campsite we’ll carry on up the valley making our way to the first pass on the trek. This area is still cultivated by the local people despite the high altitudes and we will see local people caring for their fields. One of the few plants that seems to thrive at this altitude is a type of mint, (muña) and the scent infuses the air throughout the morning. In total it’s about a 4 hour walk to the pass (4440m / 14567ft.) where we’ll stop to take in the panorama and catch our breath before carrying on for about another 20 minutes to stop for lunch. After lunch the walking gets easier; having reached the top of the mountain the terrain levels out and we walk across the high plateau through a strange landscape of what appear to be burial mounds but are actually glacial morraine (piles of rock deposited by glaciers during the Ice Age). Our goal for today is the Inca quarry of Cachicata. Working our way down from the high plateau we’ll arrive to Cachicata (3820m / 12532ft.) by late afternoon, passing by an Inca ruin which people refer to as the Sun Gate along the way.
Hiking time:6 hours.
Walking distance: 14km.
Altitude: From 3650 m. up to 4440 m. and from 4440 m. down to 3820 m.
Day 3: CACHICATA – OLLANTAYTAMBO – AGUAS CALIENTES TOWN
Today is dedicated to exploring Cachicata. Despite it’s proximity to Ollantaytambo and the wide variety of interesting features, hardly anyone actually comes up here. Cachicata is an extensive site, it was the quarry used by the Inca for the construction of Ollantaytambo and there are various points of interest including several large buildings, quarried stones left half-finished and abandoned throughout the site, chullpas (burial houses) and a cave with Inca mummies still in place. After a guided tour of the site we’ll continue our way down the mountain following the original platform used for transporting the stones to Ollantaytambo and arrive to the town by early afternoon. From Ollantaytambo we’ll take the train to AGUAS CALIENTES TOWN (2000 m.) where we spend the night in a confortable hotel, our dinner will be at the tourist restaurant which is included. During dinner our tour guide will provide you very important information about your next day, so you’re fully prepared for your visit to Machu Picchu on the last day. After, it is advisable to go to sleep at a reasonable time in order to wake up in the early hours of the morning to get to Machu Picchu.
Hiking time: 3 hours.
Walking distance: 9 km.
Altitude: from 3820 m. down to 2700 m. (By walk), and from 2700 to 2000 m. (By train)
Day 4: AGUAS CALIENTES TOWN – MACHU PICCHU – CUSCO
We will start our last and amazing day very early in order to get Machu Picchu before even the Inca Trail Trekkers and tourist trains arrive and to have the opportunity to enjoy the sunrise at Machu Picchu. After breakfast we will leave from our hotel at 5:30 am. and we will walk towards Bus Station (2000 m.), from here we ascend in tourist bus for 30 minutes by a zig zag way to Inca Sanctuary of MACHU PICCHU (2400 m.). We will see this amazing place and starting our guiding visit, which will be last approximately 2 hours with our professional Tour Guide, where he will explain about the history, visiting magical and interesting places that have made Machu Picchu one of the Wonders of the World. After the tour you will have enough free time to take photos, walk or explore the site by yourselves and there is the possibility to climbing up to Huayna Picchu Mountain according availability. Then in the afternoon, after enjoying Machu Picchu, we will caught the tourist bus, going down for about 25 minutes to Aguas Calientes Town, here you will have time to have lunch in one of the good restaurants. At 6:00 pm. We will board the return train to take us to Ollantaytambo Town arriving at 7:50 pm, here our transfer will be waiting for you, who will bring you in tourist bus back to Cusco arriving at 9: 30 pm. approximately, and finally we will leave you at your Cusco hotel.
Hiking time: 2 hours with the group visiting Machu Picchu + 4 hours exploring by yourself.
Walking distance: It depend the area you want to explore at Machu Picchu.
Altitude: from 2000 m. up to 2400 m. (By Bus).
INCLUDED IN YOUR TOUR:
- Pre meeting and briefing of preparation with your tour guide 1 or 2 days before the trek at our Cusco Office.
- Safe storage for your belongings at our office in Cusco while you are hiking.
- Pick up from your Cusco hotel.
- Transport from Cusco until Socma (Trailhead) in private car.
- Professional English speaking Tour Guide.
- A second Tour Guide (for groups of 10 or more trekkers).
- Cook and cook assistant to prepare all feeding.
- 01 hour guided tour in Cachicata Quarries.
- Entrance fees to Machu Picchu Inca Site and the campsite fees.
- 2 hours guided tour in Machu Picchu Inca site.
- Entrance fees to Machu Picchu Inca Site.
- 2 hours guided tour in Machu Picchu Inca site.
- All meals during the trek(04 breakfasts, 04 lunches, 03 tea times, 03 dinners)There is the possibility of preparing vegetarian or special diets according to your requirement.
- Boiled water to refill your water bottle and hot water for washing purposes.
- Horsemen and horses to carry all camping equipment, personal items, food, sleeping tents and kitchen equipment.
- We carry until 8 kg. of your load, so you’ll only walk with your daypack with water (For this load, we will provide duffel bags at your briefing for your personal items).
- One emergency horse which can be ridden if you are feeling ill or too tired.
- The best camping equipment to enjoy a good night’s sleep:
- Dormitory Tent (High Quality Mountain Tents for 4 people, it will be used only for 2 people for your better comfort) and enough space storage for your backpacks.
- Inflatable Mattress Thermarest.
- Dining Tent + camp tables + chairs + gas lamp for the evenings.
- Kitchen Tent and full cooking gear for preparing all meals.
- First Aid Kit and emergency Oxygen balloon.
- Expedition Train ticket from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes Town.
- Bus ticket up and down from Aguas Calientes Town to Machu Picchu Inca site.
- Return Expedition Train ticket on Day 8, from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo.
- Transport from Ollantaytambo train station until your hotel at Cusco.
- 01 night accommodation in Aguas Calientes Town. This will be in a basic hotel, in accommodations single, double, triple rooms according to your requirements and availability. All hotels booked by us are clean and safe with breakfast included, private bathrooms with hot showers, Wi-Fi and storage for free to leave your luggage while you are visiting Machu Picchu.
OPTIONAL SERVICES: Until the last day before your trek, at our Travel Office in Cusco, If you want, you have the option to add to your reserved trek, for an additional payment, the following things:
- Sleeping bag (you can rent it from our Travel Office + $ 5.oo USD per day).
- A pair of trekking poles (you can rent it from our Travel Office + $ 5.oo USD per day).
- Vistadome train upgrade: USD 60.00 +
- Entrance ticket to Huayna Picchu Mountain (In this case, please require it when you
book your trek because is subject to availability, just 400 spaces a day + $ 10.oo USD)
- Personal Trekking gear (please, check the Choquequirao trekking what to take page).
- Travel Insurance.
- Optional Tips for the travel team (only if you want, at the end of the trail you can give some tips for the tour guide, cook and porters).
What to take
WHAT TO TAKE
Many people assume that the weather is hot in South America, but in the zone of the higher altitude of the Andes, the temperature can feel quite cold, especially at night. So we provide you the full list to organize your backpack from now, if you don’t have one of them, so you can buy it with some time in advance but if you cannot do it, don’t worry there are many camping stores in Cusco City where you can hire or buy what you need.
Please, check this CACHICATA QUARRIES Packing List and remember that everything is very important for the success of your trek.
- Original Passport
- Student Card, if you are student
- Travel Insurance (some copies)
- Day pack.
- Sleeping bag.
- Water bottle.
- Purifying tablets or filter
- Some small snacks such as cookies, candies, chocolates, dried fruit, energy bars etc.
- Money belt and some cash, if you want to buy some souvenirs of your visit
- Hiking Shoes and Sandals.
- Warm clothes: especially for the night as thermal jacket, glove, scarf, wool socks, wool hat for cold nights.
- Waterproof clothing (rain jacket and poncho)
- Synthetic or cotton clothing (hiking pants, socks, trousers, short pants, 4 t-shirts)
- Swimsuit, for the Hot Springs.
- Sun Hat
- Personal medical kit with bandages and anti-inflammatory tablets
- Insect repellent.
- Sun block
- Small towel.
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Soap / body wash
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Hairbrush /comb
- Deodorant / body spray
- Toilet paper
- Flashlight (head lamp recommended)
- Photo Camera with extra memory cards and batteries.
- Walking poles with rubber-tipped (Optional).
- Pocket knife
- Some plastic bags.
- A sense of humor.
- We recommend a previous acclimatization in Cuzco City, for at least 2 days and general good health.
The prices of CACHICATA QUARRIES & MACHU PICCHU 4 Days / 3 Nightss are expressed in US dollars and for each excursionist.
USD $ 850.00 per adult (14 years or more)
USD $ 830.00 per student (For this price, you must e-mail a copy of your original student card issued by the university for up to 25 years.)
USD $ 830.00 per child (age 3-11)
USD $ 0.00 per child (0-3 years) – Free, traveling with your parents.
IMPORTANT: Please note that this tour requires a minimum of 2 adults. The price varies according to the number of passengers